Monday, August 29, 2011

Routine Maintenance 

Ever had your car break down just to find out that it could all have been prevented if you or the previous owner would have just conducted routine maintenance?  I haven't been in that boat myself but I have experienced break downs and of course they're not fun. In the world of faith we tend to hear about two extremes when it comes to our daily living. On the one hand, we hear about religiously depending on a routine or rituals.   The daily dose: a certain number of chapters from the bible, dedicated prayer and church attendance.  The more extreme types, perhaps the Christian "Tony Hortons" who might someday come up with a program called "Power Faith 90" would throw in regular silence and fasting as part of the daily regimen. Of course all this leaves you feeling forced or programmed to partake in activities that we hope will grow our knowledge of God, instill deeper faith and curb our frustrating sin habits. Then there's the other side of the coin, which relies on chance and spontaneous growth with no routine and no planned growth activities.  

Over the years, I have had varying levels of the forced habits and spontaneous theological growth spurts. I have been on both ends of the issue and in between. Some of the hardest times have been when I have had the spiritual breakdowns and while I am not one for relying on extremes, I find some consistency in the circumstance of those regretful times.  As time passes I become more and more acutely aware of those commonalities. I don't like the idea of routines and rituals nor am found of the idea of checking off boxes to keep in line with my spirituality; it just feels so manufactured.  However, after the worst was over with the breakdown I could begin to repair the damages. So I would read with some structure and I would have planned prayer; over time it was like I was building up a storage of focus and determination. Perhaps one could say I was reinforcing the line or connection between God and I. This is exactly what I believe Paul was talking about when he said "not to be conformed to this world but transformed by the renewing of your mind."  I am realizing that the reading everyday and planned prayer among other things are more like routine maintenance that help prevent spiritual breakdowns. In addition, I learned that there are other things we can do as maintenance to grow and challenge ourselves. 

Just like different models have different maintenance schedules, I believe people do as well. Everyday our lives are more packed than ever before and if we aren't careful we run the risk of only reacting in our lives.   When we only react to the problems it can  cost us greatly just like it does with our cars.  My routine maintenance has grown and evolved over time and will change more I am sure but I promise you this when I am living by my routine maintenance plan I am focused, God is the priority and I see spiritual growth. I have posted my routine below so you can see what on looks like. yes, it is still a work in progress and I am not 100% yet which is okay.  I hope someday it will be. 

Everyday - read the word, read the news,  planned prayer, eat right and clean something. 
6 days a week - work out, read or do something entertaining. 
5 days a week - work at my job, read a book that grows me professionally and or spiritually 
4 days a week - pursue my ministry calling (being there, planning, building a relationship, study, strategy  etc.)
1 day a week - attend a service, be a member of a small group, do something active outside the house, meet for discipleship (assess the week with a close friend and challenge each other on deep levels)

Go ahead, I dare you. . . Light the Dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment